Ah. I see we've both presented our operating preferences as if they reflect
those of the majority of contesters. Sorry for that.

There have been posts from both sides of the fence. Some ops apparently can
memorize or hear the radio's settings, and other cannot or don't want to.
Thanks to N1EU and P49Y for letting me know I'm not the only person out
there who makes mistakes with my radio. One time I switched my FT-1000D RX
ANT on to run the low bands listening to my Beverage in the wee hours of CQ
WW CW, and forgot that it was on the next morning. It sure was frustrating
trying to run 20m with that Beverage! I thought we'd had a solar flare. And
the 1000D has a little green light next to the button that I should have
noticed. Unfortunately, after 18 or 36 hours of contesting, I'm often on the
edge of being able to remember my own name, let alone the radio settings.
For me, the more prominent the display, the better.

The Orion does a good enough job with DSP that it isn't easy to distinguish
between 600Hz, 400Hz, or 200Hz. Sometimes I narrow the passband temporarily
to block QRM or enhance a very weak signal. Other times I shift the passband
to attenuate interference. Other times I twiddle the RIT because a station
is calling me at the edge of the passband. I can't tell just by listening
that these changes have been made (and I challenge anyone to be able to tell
that RIT has been used just by listening.) Sure, most of the time I
immediately reset to zero. In fact, Writelog zeros RIT for me when I log
each QSO. But I run SO2R and sometimes I get distracted by something
happening on the other radio. By the time I get back to the first radio, I
may have forgotten the adjustments I made a couple of minutes ago.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't preach to me about contesting style. I
believe my scores and standings over the past 10 years speak to that issue.
I don't adjust my radio excessively during contests. I may do it a few times
every few hours under extreme conditions. That's hardly DXing. Even if done
infrequently, a change here or there may not be the right setting for
working the next QSO, and a valuable mult may be missed because the settings
are off. SO2R contesting is very demanding of the operator's attention, and
I don't want to spend any time figuring out that I shifted the passband,
tweaked the AGC, inserted the notch, etc. I want to see the status of the
radio at a glance, either with a light, a knob position, or a field on the
display.

It's important to remember that SDRs are relatively new on the ham radio
scene and designers are still trying to get it right. In the old days, many
settings could be determined by the position of a knob or switch, or perhaps
a small LED. The trend today is to use multi-function buttons, knobs with
digital encoders, knobs with built-in push buttons, etc. In many cases, the
knobs and buttons don't tell you the state of that particular function. This
places greater demands on the display to show the current state of the
radio.

I don't particularly like the Orion's LCD screen, but it's large and capable
of displaying any parameters determined by the firmware. If the K3 has a
weakness, it's the limited size display. It's going to take some creativity
for that display to accommodate the operating needs of a wide variety of
users. My comments were posted to help facilitate that.

73, Dick WC1M