Well, speaking as someone with an "almost" big-gun station, and one who has
operated from several of the biggest stations in the Northeast, with some of
the best operators on the planet, and also one who has had the rate meter up
to 350/hr in Barbados, I can tell you that knobs can and do get twiddled
during big runs on 20m. QRM is QRM, regardless of the station size, and lids
don't know how to zero beat regardless of who you are. I've seen top guns
twiddle every knob they can get their hands on to pull a weak mult out of
the mud during a big run. And big guns have to spend considerable time
S&Ping just like the little guys. If you don't tune, you miss many, many
mults. That's what SO2R is all about.

I'm offended by your insinuation about my posts. Yes, I'm an Orion owner and
I was an active beta tester of the Orion for years. I worked very hard to
help Ten-Tec track down bugs in the firmware and enhance the radio. The
reason I'm here is that ultimately Ten-Tec let the customer base down by not
fixing glaring faults in the Orion firmware and by ending the beta test
program abruptly. What started out as a revolutionary radio with fabulous
potential ended up as a sad collection of lost opportunities. Why? Because
Ten-Tec didn't listen to its beta testers and its loyal owners. We reported
many, many bugs, design flaws and ergonomic issues with the radio, many of
them fixable, and they ignored us. They also prematurely killed the resale
value of the Orion I by producing the Orion II instead of an upgrade kit for
the original radio.

I was delighted to see that the folks at Elecraft seized the opportunity to
take a similar SDR design to the next level. In looking over the specs, and
reading their responses on this reflector, I've seen that they're a whole
different breed from the folks we worked with at Ten-Tec. I won't hesitate
to say that I think the technical abilities are far superior at Elecraft.
I'm a 30-year veteran of the software industry, and I'm very impressed by
Wayne's abilities and even more so by his attitude. That last part is what
really stands out about Elecraft. They seem to be listening very carefully
to the feedback from their customers, and when possible they're moving
quickly and decisively to correct problems and implement enhancements.
That's great service, and should make the K3 and the company a big winner.

I voted with my wallet on that issue by ordering a nicely loaded K3
yesterday. So much for non-owners loyal to Ten-Tec.

I placed my order despite misgivings that I'd be better off waiting for the
first wave of hardware updates to come out. I came to the conclusion that,
unlike Ten-Tec, Elecraft will keep the customer base well-informed about
updates and will make them available. That's all I really need -- a
manufacturer who is committed to all customers, not just the new ones (heck,
you can't even get an alignment manual from Ten-Tec.)

Let me caution the members of this reflector about something. You don't want
this valuable forum to degenerate into a manufacturer love-fest like the
Orion reflector. At times it's been difficult to raise legitimate criticisms
of the Orion without getting flamed from all sides by Ten-Tec loyalists,
many of whom have limited technical knowledge and experience. My comments
are not meant to be negative. It's very important to point out potential
errors, design flaws and usability problems in an open and honest way.
That's the only way that Elecraft can get the precious feedback they need to
establish product leadership. We should not be shy about criticizing some
aspect of the implementation if we think it's wrong. We won't be right all
the time, but that's also a valuable function of this forum: the ability of
users to debate each other on the merits of some design issue or suggestion.
That process can be a little messy, and sometimes the back-and-forth can get
testy, but like democracy the result is preferable to the alternative:
keeping everyone in the dark and being afraid to speak one's mind. Sometimes
I think people on this reflector are afraid to challenge Elecraft. My sense
so far is that Elecraft welcomes it because they're darned good engineers,
don't have a lot of ego, and are committed to making the best product they
can.

That's the kind of company and product I want to invest in.

73, Dick WC1M