Don,

> That seems to be the knock whenever one of the
> FT1000MP or IC756Pro features or connections does not
> find the same implementation on the K3.
>
> I'm not sure it's fair to go toe to toe with Japan
> Inc. on every specific feature ever put into an
> FT1000MP, while at the same time expecting the kind of
> innovation that's in the K3.

I'm not expecting - and haven't said - that the K3 will go toe
to toe with every specific feature in a FT-1000MP or a 756ProIII.
I have a K3/100 with second receiver on order in the second batch
- and I'm waiting like everyone else.  I also plan to order a
second one if the first comes even close to my expectations.

However, there are certain de facto standards in the marketplace.
Every (modern) transceiver provides a CW input that has a positive
pull-up with closure to ground; every (modern) transceiver provides
a relay contact closure to ground or open collector (drain) output
capable of approximately 48 volts at 100 mA for keying external
amplifiers.  Practically since the introduction of ALC (Collins?)
in transmitter systems and external amplifiers, ALC was negative
and modern solid state transceivers have maintained compatibility
with that "standard" even though it would have been easier if the
(external) ALC was positive.  RF enable in QSK capable amplifiers
has been a contact closure to ground since it first appeared in
Alpha amps more than 20 years ago.

None of these are new or specific to a single transceiver ...
however, if a transceiver supports a function (inhibit, ALC,
etc.) the user has a right to expect it will be supported in
a way that is compatible with other equipment already on the
market.  Can you imagine the screams if amplifier PTT control
were implemented as at positive going voltage instead of a
contact closure to ground or if an external CW keyer had to
provide a positive going signal (external voltage) to generate
RF instead of closures to ground?

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV