One of the things I found was if the front panel is too far in it will short
out. (On something...)
To fix the problem, I "re-nested" the 2-D fasteners after finding the front
panels sweet spot.
Basically, loosen the screws a little then pull out on the front panel.
Try and power up the radio and see if the problem goes away.
If it does, torque down the screws there. You may have to reposition the
panels to close any gaps.
Mine had similar symptoms to what yours is having.

BTW, I just found out that UPS ground shipping with insurance to Elecraft is
about $48!!!
I think I got ripped off! I just hope the repairs are simple!
73, Damon KC5CQW

Norm Klieman wrote:

> My K2 just started with these issues yesterday.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestion other than sending the
> rig to Elecraft?
>
> When I power the K2 up, it is like it has no antenna
> connection (I have the KAT 100 external tuner that I
> use with the rig). When I also power up only a few of
> the letters for ELECRAFT appear on the LED Screen.
> Maybe 3 or 4 letters only and the S meter has three
> bars then a few blank and then 2 filled in. The rig
> sounds like it is almost muted or at times no audio.
>
> Also when I power up, the KAT 100 shows the rig in the
> low power position even though I have the pot set for
> 100 watts.
>
> It can take me about 5 to 10 minutes of turning the
> rig on and off until it will then function normally.
> Once normal it is fine unless the rig is off for about
> an hour.
>
> If I turn the rig off for an hour and come back to it
> it will not start normally and I have the same issues
> all over again.
>
> I have checked all of my connections into the rig
> especially the power connections and antenna
> connections.
>
> It kind of reminds me if I had an IC that was somehow
> failing somewhere?
>
> Thanks for the feedback!
>
> Best 73's -- Norm  K9NK

-----