I had similar problem during the build of my 2nd K2.  I had the  experience
during the First test stage - very few parts on RF Board.   Consequently I
re-soldered many pads on the FP and Cont boards, to no  avail.
I discovered that I could press DISPLAY button and Menu button and get
mainly correct responses, but no tuning. All voltage and resistance tests were
OK.

I resorted to doing a RESET on the EEPROM  (press 4+5+6 simultaneously  while
turning ON power).

After that, all has been well since.

If you do a reset you will loose some EEPROM F/W setting you have made -
filter configs, etc.

Check the supply voltage first, just in case it is falling too low.

If the problem persists after reset and/or if it works but becomes
intermittent, you should re seat the FP and Control boards in their connectors
and
consider inspecting/re soldering control board pads.

73 es Good Luck,  Al WA6VNN

In a message dated 3/30/2008 6:37:47 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,