Lee,

The WPX contest was an interesting experience with the K3. I was working 670
contacts in single op all band non assisted high pwr mode. I am not a very
experienced contester, but I have been working a number of SSB contests with
my MP over the past 2-3 years.

My impression of the K3 is similar to what you and Mark Roz describe. First
I thought it was the headphones but soon I realized that the radio sounds a
little different that I am used to. Some high pitched audio appeared very
sharp, and less filtered than I am used to and splatter was hard to fight.

I was normally starting with a 2.4 kc bandwidth, working my way down below 2
kc when there was a lot of splatter. I also noticed that I had to center the
passband very low in most cases to dig out the signal. That seemed a little
different depending on the spectrum energy in the received signal, but most
often my passband was tuned very low for best receive. After the WPX
experience I am now willing to try a sharper SSB filer, I think it is
needed.

I also tried noise reduction as higher bands sometimes where very noisy and
signals weak. For me, DSP NR never really worked well. The NR in the K3
seems to do a pretty nice job, but still my brain is far better.

I have also noticed the fluctuation in output, not being sure if it was my
low band antennas rocking in the wind or something else. I read Sunday about
some SSB issues in the current firmware release, so they might be dealt with
soon. Unfortunately I updated my firmware right before the contest.

On the positive note I have to say that the K3 is well thought trough. I
feel comfortable with the physical layout and the radio is very easy to
operate. Most of the time I used the filters in shift/width mode, not LO/HI
and sometimes I was running with AGC off using RF-gain instead.

Would be interesting to hear others experience. With 600 radios out there,
there should be quite a few that's been exercised this weekend.

73 de Björn /SM0MDG & 7S0X