The most comprehensive writeup I've seen is here:
http://www.elecraft.com/K3/Roofing_Filters.htm

I'd agree that you probably don't want to order 200, 250, 400 and 500.
However two of these four makes sense for some buyers, including me.

If you configure the radio correctly, roofing filters are selected
automatically as you turn the "width" knob.  You may also directly select a
roofing filter.  I just twist the width knob to adjust the DSP bandwidth and
the appropriate roofing filter is selected for me.

One "reasonable" starting configuration is just the stock 2.7 KHz filter.
If you want to transmit AM, you'll need the 6.0 KHz AM filter.  If FM is
important to you, you'll need the FM filter.  I'm not currently interested
in transmitting in either of these modes, so I skipped those two filters and
I can receive AM with adequate (for me) fidelity by using my 2.8 KHz filter
and listening to one sideband.  Discerning AM buffs might well have a
different definition of "adequate fidelity".

If you're interested in CW or "data" modes (RTTY, PSK, etc), then you'll
perhaps want to invest in one or more narrower filters, perhaps one or two
of 200, 250, 400, 500 Hz.  If it's only one narrower filter, I'd suggest
either the 400 or 500 Hz filter. I think of the 200 and 250 as alternatives
and 400 and 500 as alternatives.  I wouldn't think you'd want both 200 and
250 nor would you probably want both 400 and 500.

I personally don't think the difference between the 2.7 and 2.8 Hz filters
matters much, but I did choose all 8-pole filters. As a result I have
slightly wider SSB transmit bandwidth and sharper skirts on receive with the
2.8 KHz 8-pole filter.

I like the 1.0 KHz filter as a "normal" CW bandwidth in contest situations.
It's not so tight that I can't hear off-frequency callers.

The 1.8 KHz filter is a wonderful filter for phone contests and other
shoulder-to-shoulder situations on phone. Others prefer 2.1 KHz for their
narrowest SSB roofing filter.  With the 1.8 I find that the off-frequency
crud often disappears, and the signal I'm isolating is comprehensible, but
"communications" fidelity rather than natural sounding.

I have to defer to the RTTY and PSK experts, but I think a 400 or 500 Hz
filter would be my 2nd filter (after the 2.7 or 2.8 decision).

My experience before the Elecraft K3 was with a series of up-converting ICOM
rigs including the 7800, whose narrowest roofing filter (after the roofing
filter upgrade) is 3 KHz.

I chose 8-pole filters at 2.8, 1.8, 1.0, 400, and 250. I probably have more
than I need for almost all situations.  Most of my QSOs don't tax the
capability of any current-generation radio, but when the situation is very
competitive I don't want to be in mid-contest or mid-pileup and at that time
wish I'd spent the relatively small amount (compared to all the other
expenses in building a station) that these filters cost.

You don't have to decide all this at the time you receive the radio.  You
can add roofing filters easily at a later date.

You just have to remove a handful of screws (top cover and half the bottom
cover), and the filter plugs in and is held in place by one lock washer and
nut.  You might need to rearrange your existing filters when you add a new
one so that they're in a natural sequence.

Filter configuration takes a few minutes after you get the hang of it, and
it'll be even quicker with the next revision of the K3 Utility.

If you decide to add the 2nd receiver option, you'll need filter(s) for that
receiver as well.  You might make the same decisions again or maybe not.
I'm going to make different choices for my 2nd receiver.

Sorry it's not a crisp answer.  It's like a lot of topics, the answer is
always "it depends"...

73 de Dick, K6KR