I've got a HUGE problem in my area too.  It only comes on at night (not
all nights though) and its periodic.  Like a lil over a minute on and
then 40 something seconds off and it goes on and off like that all
night.  It generally comes on shortly after the street lamps do.  A talk
with the power company results in a guy calling back saying he was in
the area and couldn't hear anything.  Well no doubt you weren't there
when the noise is.  And he says that if its the street lamps they have
no jurisdiction I have to speak with the city.  Unfortunately I have no
real way to tell what light it is.