Brett Howard wrote:

> Being tha t it was mentioned that best responses seem to be with a
> roofing filter wider than 300Hz and then he mentioned the "250Hz" filter
> wouldn't you deduce that he meant the 370Hz filter which Elecraft calls
> 250Hz?  I mean maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here but that was pretty
> clear to me.

That's a good assumption but not what he said.  In other areas of his
message, Joe was careful to say "250" (meaning Elecraft's nomenclature) or
370, but the what he actually wrote is:

"The consensus is that the 200 Hz DSP settings work as long as the roofing
filter is more than 250 Hz wide."

I suspect much of this is academic anyway.  If you have an extremely strong
signal 250 Hz from your center frequency, NO filtering is going to solve
issues like the other guy's TX noise, although a narrower XFIL may sometimes
help with desense.  At least on CW that's the advantage I see with the 200,
but also remember that we also have a 50 Hz DSP in our ears which helps on
CW (but not on RTTY).

73,  Bill