W4ZV wrote:

> Speaking as a field tester, I feel there is little risk in using beta
> versions.  Anything publicly posted by Elecraft has already been
> through some level of testing by the field test team.  It's not like
> there hasn't been any testing at all, and you can always back up a
> version or two if there's a problem.  You're not going to permanently
> "break" anything in the rig by loading beta firmware.  I'm much more
> leery about loading SP3
> (still!) for Windows XP than I am beta firmware for the K3.
>
> That said, even I would probably not use a very recently released
> version in a contest.

I agree with Bill, although I have to admit that I load the latest firmware
every time I'm in the radio room.  For over a year now, I've always used the
most recent firmware provided to Field Test for evaluation, even in
contests.  I've never had a major problem and I've actively used nearly
every version the engineers have churned out, including multiple versions of
the same version number!  If I were to have a problem, I'd simply load a
prior version which is trivial to do with the K3 Utility.  In one Thursday
night NCCC practice Sprint, I got several reports of an odd-sounding CW
signal and that immediately led to a firmware fix of a very subtle issue
that only happened on a few discreet frequencies.  So, given Elecraft's
responsiveness, I am very bullish about using the latest firmware and
helping move the K3 forward.

73,
Ed - W0YK

P.S.  I have the Windows XP SP3 CD, but am also reluctant to install it on
my computers.  My Microsoft experience is quite different than my K3
firmware experience.