Something from my other existence,

Field Validator's Release or Early Adopter's Release.

One testing function is a methodical sweep for introduced bugs which
includes "regression" testing for undoing of earlier fixes. The "other"
major testing function is to operate all normal customer uses in the field
with an eye out for problems and reporting such.

The latter is termed field validation where I work, undertaken by customers
who have some stake in early adoption and understand they may find stuff.
The key to that kind of a developer/customer relationship is a speedy and
serious turnaround on anything found. A customer may also be expecting
"improvements" that are "not bugs" as part of this transaction.

Seems to me that Elecraft is nicely operating in the spirit of Early
Adopter's Release as stated above.

73, Guy K2AV

In that case, it would be better for them to rename these "pre-release" or
similar, instead of beta.

I worked for Microsoft for several years, and now have a complete aversion
to the term "beta", so I will never load something using that term for
production use. I assume I am not the only one with that problem ;-)

73,
Mitch DJ0QN