Bob Towers-2 wrote:

> Well, the K3/100 kit arrived on 18th August. I ordered it on 31 March
> and was expecting September delivery, so it was a pleasant surprise to
> get it early.
>
> The K3/10 is built and I've connected it up to my soundcard (Aureal
> Vortex) on my PC via the LINE IN and LINE OUT jack sockets on the back
> of the K3. The connections to the soundcard are line out and line in
> respectively. My digital mode software is MixW.
>
> I've come across a problem: the LINE IN and LINE OUT levels appear to be
> pretty low. I need to set the K3 LINE OUT level well above 50 before I
> can see a trace on MixW's waterfall, even with the soundcard's line in
> level set to maximum. I also need to set the K3 MIC gain above 50 before
> I get a decent level of drive; even at 70 the ALC level doesn't even
> register.
>
> I have previously used this soundcard without problem with fixed level
> inputs and outputs from my TenTec Argonaut V, so I doubt whether the
> problem is with the soundcard.
>
> OK, I could use the soundcard MIC input and speaker output instead, but
> I guess the impedances will be all wrong.

Without knowing the actual audio levels in and out it is difficult to offer
an accurate diagnosis. However, your experience of lack of drive is the
opposite of mine. I assume that you *are* using plain vanilla straight
through audio cables, not ones with a resistive attenuator built in which I
found necessary with all my other radios?

I don't have a line out socket on my sound card so I have to use the same
output that would be used to drive computer speakers or headphones. I have
the K3 line input setting (not mic gain, you have to configure a menu option
to select the line input for data) at about 20 to get 5 bars on the "ALC"
reading.

On receive I actually get an adequate drive for the CW Skimmer program into
the line input socket with the K3 Line output level set at just 2. Other
software seems to need about a 10 - 15 level.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.ham-directory.com/ Ham
Directory    http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html KComm for Elecraft K2 and K3