>I need to set the K3 LINE OUT level well above 50 before I
can see a trace on MixW's waterfall, even with the soundcard's line in
level set to maximum.

Bob, some of us have measured distortion on the line out connection on our
K3s and find that it is significant on high line-out drive levels. I think
the manual suggests nothing higher than 10. Mine has noticeable artifacts on
a waterfall with a single tone RF input from an XG2 signal generator with
any line-out gain setting above 3. Luckily that is just enough to drive my
internal soundcard, YMMV.

Mike Scott - AE6WA

Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
K3-100 #508/ KX1  #1311