> But if you're running
> PSK31 with a typical wideband filter, the low frequency components
> (static, noise, other signals) could produce enough distortion to
> degrade operation of the PSK decoder (in the computer sound card).

Operating narrow band modes with wideband receivers is not good
engineering practice.  If AGC is disabled the receiver and audio
(soundcard gains) need to be backed off sufficiently to prevent
overload with strong undesired signals.  This give up dynamic range
on weak signals.  If AGC in enabled, strong undesired signals will
activate the AGC and reduce gain - often to the point of blocking
the weak signal.

Narrow receiver filtering makes a big difference and protects the
audio circuits from the unnecessary LF energy.

As long as the user does not "push" the IF response below the K3
standard 200 Hz low cut, the LF energy is not a significant issue.
A 1V peak tone at 250 Hz has harmonic distortion at -78 dB (2nd),
-49 dB (3rd), -81 dB (4th) and -65 dB (5th).  The 2nd and 4th
harmonics may be lower as the measured values are the noise floor.
Although those numbers are slightly worse than at 500 Hz or 1 KHz,
-50 dB distortion levels are more than adequate for narrow band
reception.

By the way, in order to get 1V Line Out levels with an XG2 (preamp
on), I found it necessary to disable AGC or set the slope below 10.
With AGC and slope settings used by most users, maximum Line Out
will not generate a 1V Peak signal for S9 inputs.  With AGC, setting
Line Out as high as 25 results in maximum audio levels at -15 to -20
dBu which allows sufficient headroom before the onset of distortion.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV