David Cutter wrote:

> Would it still work for you if you used your paddle directly into the K3
> paddle input and pc into the key input, then the programs would still key
> directly?  I'm wondering if you would want to change the PTT, lead-in and
> tail features on the fly, ie could these all be programmed in config?
>
> David
> G3UNA

Hi David,

Generating cw directly from a (Windoze..?) pc is usually bad news. Windows
always has priority and will interrupt cw keying when it needs to do
something else; the result can be awful cw which can be embarrassing in a
contest.

Winkey takes the data from the pc as ascii (I think..) and generates it's
own perfectly timed characters independantly of the computer with which to
key the radio. A Microham keyer uses Winkey which also accepts paddle input
- this means that the cw sent from your pc (eg from N1MM) will always be at
the same speed and setup as that sent from the paddles, one speed knob
controls both.

I tend to use my Microham cw keyer all the time but admit the keyer in the
K3 is excellent.

73, Stewart GW0ETF (K3 145)