G3UNA asked:

> Would it still work for you if you used your paddle directly into the K3
> paddle input and pc into the key input, then the programs would still key
> directly?  I'm wondering if you would want to change the PTT, lead-in and
> tail features on the fly, ie could these all be programmed in config?

Running a standalone keyer in parallel with computer keying suffers from the
disadvantage that input from the two sources is OR'ed, i.e. touching the
paddle while the computer is sending CW results in unintelligible garble.

One of the selling features of the WinKeyer for me was its integration of
paddle and computer input. When the keyer is sending computer-generated CW,
a touch of the paddle automatically interrupts computer-sent code and clears
the input buffer. Thus, if you hit the wrong macro button in your software,
you can start sending with the paddle instead and the PC-generated CW will
stop instantly. This eliminates the need to first hit the ESC key on the
computer and then switch to the paddle (or to PC keyboard CW). In fact, even
if what I want to do is stop the computer output and then press the correct
macro button on the keyboard, just touching the dit paddle still seems to be
the easiest way for me to interrupt the output stream.

Perhaps the K3 firmware will do this too, i.e. give priority to the paddle
input over any of the other input sources: DTR on the serial interface, the
straight key jack (which is often used for computer keying), or CW generated
using the KY software command. I can't tell yet - I haven't found anything
about this in the firmware release notes, and my own K3 arrived about two
hours ago and is still just a collection of parts.

Another feature of the WinKeyer has already been mentioned in this thread:
the ability to configure it to add a constant keying compensation of a few
msec to every element.

Oh yes: will the K3's internal keyer autospace CW elements? That's a useful
feature of many external keyers.

73,
Rich VE3KI
K3 #1595