Thanks to all that have replied. I'll not belabor the point however the
question has been somewhat hijacked. In my manual that I have read from cover
to cover there is no clear understanding of anything to do with a/b tapping
whatsoever as it pertains to split operation. I was only recently made aware
that my manual is one year old and that many changes had been made that
superseded the version c1 of nov 2007. I normally slave vfo a and b together so
that I can quickly be on about the right rx when I need to be. After reading my
manual it states that all I have to do is hit split and I should be able to
transmit on vfo b without further pressing of anything. It is stated that B/SET
can be used to set up VFO B independently however there was no mention that it
was a prerequisite for split operation. I've read with interest all the
postings and would still like to have split do all functions in one press of
that button. If there is compelling reason that it should be set otherwise that
should be a menu option. I've noticed that in order to set up split it is in
fact necessary to hit a/b twice closely spaced then hold a/b to enter split.
That is 3 presses of the button. I have downloaded the latest version of the
manual and am in the process of reading it. I just received my K3 three weeks
ago but yet I have a manual that is about one year old and I'm sure that has
lead to some of my confusion on this issue. Again I do not want to belabor this
situation as I stated in the beginning but only wish to clarify the finer
points of my initial writing.

Thanks for hearing me out

Bob Ansell
K1WGM