Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

The K3 previously did copy mode (and other parameters) on the first tap.

I'm aware of that. I went thorough the change and am saying I prefer the old way. If one is storing VOF A data to VFO B the most likely desired outcome is to change frequency and mode.

Mode is not an issue for me, since I operate 99.999% CW. But along with mode come the DSP parameters (bandwidth and center frequency). And I often *don't* want to copy these, because I like to use a wider bandwidth to listen to the pileup than to the DX.

If a small group of users prefer not to change mode with frequency make it an option or let them use "B Set, Mode, B set." Otherwise, make the behavior context sensitive - e.g., if already in split or dual use the current behavior, if not split use the old form (set frequency and mode).

So what I would have to do is A->B, BSET, twist bandwidth knob, BSET (to exit BSET mode). No thanks!

The extra tap is an ergonomic trap for the majority of users not schooled in "the Elecraft way" and a recipe for "UP LID" if the second tap is too fast, too slow or too light.

'Too fast' is not a problem. 'Too slow' means waiting (I think) two seconds, which is an eternity. And 'too light' is very hard to do with the K3's buttons.

I think part of the issue is that the K3 is different from what one is familiar with, so it takes some getting used to. This in itself isn't a problem.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco