Amen Joe. It is amazing the gripes you hear and the justifications for them. The specs were advertised; if you didnt like them, why did you purchase a K3? I am a very satisfied K3 customer and I have used the K3 to work weak dx on all the bands 160-6 meters.......... Jim K4JAF

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Ian White GM3SEK'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:57 PM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] 6M Preamp

The K3's sensitivity specification corresponds to a noise figure
of about 13dB. My K3 meets its sensitivity spec almost exactly,

That's the point.  The K3 meets its specifications.

The K3 with a preamp is probably the best 6m receiver available;
but this high-end rig should have included a competent 6m preamp
and bypass relays on the original KVXV3 board, and not as a clumsy
afterthought.

You will never get agreement as to what should be included in
the KXV3 (transverter board) or the overall "package."  Low band
fans will tell you the transceiver should include full receive
antenna switching (e.g., relays to allow the KRX3 to use the
transmit antenna while the main receiver uses the RX antenna
and/or allow each receiver to use a different low noise receive
antenna. There is simply is no room for the "other" functions
on the KXV3 and no justification for adding the extra cost (and
operational complexity) for features that will only be used by
a small fraction of users.

Elecraft have struck an excellent balance - designing a rig
with an equal level of performance across the operating range
and providing an interface (KXV3) that allows those who want
additional performance or features (better rx antenna switching,
higher sensitivity on 50 MHz, UHF/VHF transverters, KRX3, etc.)
to add them as needed and at reasonable cost.