Jim Cox wrote:

> Amen Joe.   It is amazing the gripes you hear and the justifications for
> them.   The specs were advertised; if you didnt like them, why did you
> purchase a K3?
> I am a very satisfied K3 customer and I have used the K3 to work weak dx
> on
> all the bands 160-6 meters..........  Jim K4JAF

I believe the right to freedom of speech extends to this reflector, Jim. I
think Elecraft themselves may have inadvertently helped to feed the
impression that the K3 was below par on 6m by rushing out an accessory
preamp that was not announced at the time of the K3 launch, even ahead of
accessories that were announced then such as the voice recorder. I have even
had the opinion expressed to me privately that since the preamp was
"necessary" Elecraft ought to be providing it free of charge to existing
customers!

Therefore I make no apology for raising this matter. I hope that others have
found the ensuing thread informative and ultimately reassuring that the
external preamp is only necessary for those who require the ultimate
performance - just as with any other transceiver. I believe the K3 would not
be as good as it is today if the only feedback Elecraft got from its
customers was fanboy adulation.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.ham-directory.com/ Ham