-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Julian, G4ILO
Sent: 23 October 2008 19:52
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] 6M Preamp

Joe Subich, W4TV-3 wrote:

> I don't know that you can say performance on six meters should
> have been higher than the performance on the HF bands.  There
> are probably more K3 users who will never use six meters in any
> serious way than those who will.  However, the Elecraft preamp
> does represent a substantial premium for RX Loop pass-through and
> ease of integration.  Whether the premium is justified is a
> decision for the user and the option allows those who need it
> to get the performance without taxing those who will never benefit
> from it.

I'm not saying that performance on six meters should have been higher than
the performance on the HF bands. I'm saying that it should not be worse than
an IC-756 PRO III, a TS-2000 or an FT-2000 would be, considering the claims
made about the K3's performance.

I have no idea of the proportion of K3 users who will never use 6 meters in
any serious way. However I think there are quite a few, such as myself, who
will have some fun on the band from time to time simply because modern HF
transceivers now include it. I'm certainly not serious enough about 6m to
spend money on a preamp for it, so I'm feeling a little short-changed after
receiving information that the K3 is so deaf on 6m that you need one. The
other radios mentioned above certainly are usable on 6m without a preamp by
all but the most diehard enthusiast who would probably want it at the
masthead anyway.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.ham-directory.com/ Ham