> That sounds like a huge improvement, but the ARR is a
> high-end preamp if I am not mistaken. I guess my question is
> really, is the K3 inferior to other transceivers in its price
> class as regards 6m sensitivity?

I believe the tests were made with the economy version of the ARR
preamp (P50VD: 1.3 dB nf, 15 dB gain).  The P50VD is $49.95 ...
A similar preamp is available from Down East Microwave .. the
6MLNA (0.7 dB nf, 18 dB gain) is $64.00 ($35.00 kit).

> Most people would accept the need to purchase accessories to get
> the last bit of performance. Paying out $150 (or $250) to bring
> the performance up to what it should have been in the first place
> is a different matter.

I don't know that you can say performance on six meters should
have been higher than the performance on the HF bands.  There
are probably more K3 users who will never use six meters in any
serious way than those who will.  However, the Elecraft preamp
does represent a substantial premium for RX Loop pass-through and
ease of integration.  Whether the premium is justified is a
decision for the user and the option allows those who need it
to get the performance without taxing those who will never benefit
from it.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV