Haines -

To amplify on my previous email - I will assume your 400hz filter occupies slot 5 and the 2.8khz filter occupies slot 3.

In the CONFIG menu, select FLx BW, where "x" will be a number 1 through 5.
*Select filter slot 3 by pressing the "3" button on the keypad.
*Be sure the BW (bandwidth) is set to 2.80.
*Select filter slot 5 by pressing the "5" button on the keypad.
*Be sure the BW setting is 0.40
Using VFO B knob, change the menu selection to FLx ON, where "x' should be 5. If not, press the "5" keypad button. *Cycle through all the mode settings with the "mode up" (or "mode down") button, and be sure that "YES" appears for CW and DATA, and "NO" appears for all other modes. *Change the filter selection to the 2.80khz filter by pressing the "3" keypad button. *Cycle through all the mode settings as before. "YES" should appear for all modes. "YES/NO" is selected with VFO A. Using VFO B, select the FLTX MD menu item, where "MD" will be "SB", "CW", "AM", or "FM". (Data mode uses the SB setting) *Cycle through all the modes as before. Be sure filter 3 is selected for SB and CW modes, and AM and FM are unassigned (they require special filters for transmitting) This selects the filter used for transmitting.

That should do it.

Indeed, I can increase the width by adjusting the DSP BW width, but
only to a small degree.

As for the filters, I installed the 2.8 kHz and 400 Hz filters, and
apparently assigned the 400 Hz to data modes. But as I indicated in my
other message, I'm having trouble switching the data mode to use the
narrower filter to see if that makes the waterfall the right width.

Put the radio in TX TEST mode and hit the software TX button to send
audio to the K3.  Now adjust using the MIC gain control (sets the
line in level) for 3-4 bars ALC.  If you are not getting any ALC
reading your soundcard output may be set too low.  Try increasing
that and try again.  I have good success with the soundcard output
set to about 20%.

Here I'm stumped. My directions for setting ALC in general are
different than setting it for DATA and nothing for DATA speaks of
putting the K3 in to TUNE mode.

When I do hold the TUNE button to enter TX TEST mode, my display shows
that I'm set for about 20 Watts and that I'm using FL2 (the 400 Hz)
filter, but now the mode on the display has changed to CW. If I exit
TUNE, I'm jumped back to DATA mode. While in CW, the ALC reads 7 bars,
which is too much for DATA.

The TX TEST mode allows settings to be made without generating a signal. You can make the setting while transmitting, you just need to identify. My mode does not change when I press "TEST" for 2 seconds - put the K3 back in Data A mode if that happens.

Your lack of output can result from several  factors:
*Sound Card Output setting too low
*Line In gain setting on the K3 too low
*Faulty filter setup, which we corrected above
*Faulty cable connecting sound card to K3

When I do software TUNE in my fldigi, while in the K3 DATA mode,
there's nothing registered on the ALC scale.

Be sure you are in DATA A mode. Press "AFX" (DATA MD) for 2 seconds, then select DATA A with VFO B. DATA mode will not accept sound card input.

Good luck - let me know.

Monty K2DLJ