Lynn Lamb, W4NL wrote:
Pardon for a dumb question, but I've hit that wall... again!

I talked to Dale at Elecraft and he suggested some of you may know the answer as he had no experience with hooking up and making K3 work with a computer so it will work using the sound card to have a full array of modes, etc.

Guess I misunderstood how the K3 did this and purchased the serial to USB cable at the time the K3 was ordered and it does the trick relative to downloading the firmware and very well. I expected this same cable to give me all the audio in and out plus key the rig.

No, there is no audio through the serial port! It can be used to key
the radio, if your software supports it (I use Ham Radio Deluxe +
DM780), but you need audio cables from the line in/out on the K3 to a
sound card in the computer too.

    ~Iain