Guess I misunderstood how the K3 did this and purchased the serial to USB cable at the time the K3 was ordered and it does the trick relative to downloading the firmware and very well. I expected this same cable to give me all the audio in and out plus key the rig...

No, it is just a serial cable. It passes frequency commands and so forth if you use it with a program like Ham Radio Deluxe.

You also need two standard 3.5mm stereo patch cables to go between your computer's sound card LINE IN and LINE OUT and the K3's connectors. LINE OUT of the computer to LINE IN on the K3, and LINE IN to the computer from LINE OUT from the K3.

Using two audio cables like this, a serial cable, and Ham Radio Deluxe I can operate the digital modes, including transmit and receive, from my computer.

73,

Lyle KK7P

PS - I would expect FLdigi and MixW to work as well, but have not tried them so cannot speak from experience.