Dave, your points are very well taken! I agree that most of these matters need to be dealt with in the contest/operating software. However I still think that a firmware choice to prevent all but the most intentional erasure of a message or recording with the KDVR3 would be a good thing. It is like a computer file, once it is gone it is gone forever unless there is a backup. If you spend the time to record a good DVR on the KDVR3 I think having a choice so as to not lose it very easily would add a lot as a reason to have a KDVR3. I think the same would hold true of a nice on the air recording you made with the KDVR3. I don't think this is not as serious as you should be able to play it on the "line out" and save it on the computer and make backups and have it for the rest of your life or send it to someone else. Of course if you don't back it up you could lose it.

Another good use for the KDVR3 would be on a one or two person DX-pedition, maybe larger. They can have the KDVR3 installed in the K3 and do their messages. With this firmware change they would not have to be concerned about losing them. Often one or more of the team members are not that familiar with the radio and could accidentally erase a message. Generally you just have a laptop on a DX-pedition so using the KDVR3 would be a great step forward IMHO. My experience from being on several DX-peditions is that a laptop lacks when it comes to using a contesting program with one or no com ports, etc.

Personally I can not get very enthused about plugging my microphone into a computer and then running wires here and there. IMHO it just adds to the chance of cable problems, etc. but that is personal preference. This is even more true on a DX-Pedition, forget one cable and you are in major trouble in the places I have been!!!

So we agree a lot of this should be handled by contesting software but I think the KDVR3 installed in a K3 should be made as useful as reasonable possible through the firmware or why sell it? I realize different K3 users have different likes for a KDVR3 but I think they would be interested in protecting their effort in creating a good DVR message so it was not easily erased just like your computer operating system gives you a second chance before you delete something.

I think the beauty of the K3 firmware in that within reason things can be done to enhance the use of the K3 with the KDVR3. It is not unusual for me to spend 1 hour getting a "near perfect" DVR message. I would like to have a way to protect that "near perfect" DVR. However I do agree with Dave and never intended in trying to make it a SO2R DVR radio even with two K3's. This is beyond what needs to be done in the K3 firmware and is not fair to the broad spectrum of K3 users most of which have no interest on SO2R. For that matter I don't do SO2R but some of the people who operate here do.

There is a downside to getting contesting software to do what you want it to do and that is you have to convince the authors to do it for the K3. Sometimes that is not as easy to do as it might seem.

Ed W0SD

Dave Hachadorian wrote:
Before getting too wrapped up in so2r/contesting dvr/mic switching within the K3, keep in mind that Writelog, and N1MM, and probably other Windows-based contesting software, already have elegant solutions to that problem.

You connect your mic to MONO MIC IN of the sound card, and STEREO LINE OUT from the sound card to the radios' LINE IN, with left channel going to the left radio, and right channel going to the right radio. Mic is muted when messages are playing. Messages can be re-recorded on the fly. Different messages can be stored in the voice of the different operators. Different messages can be used for S&P vs. CQ mode. With this setup, you don't need to connect a mic directly to the K3.

Just some thoughts to keep the issue in perspective.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed Gray W0SD" <w...@triotel.net>