Guys, it is -IMHO- all the time the same like with activation of KEY OUT port by hitting the Key when on CW and pure PTT mode. This activation of PTT and RF Out my hitting M1 is much worse. Please, take in consideration that K3 can be part of very complex line where all PTT/RF OUT activity are strictly controlled and ANY unwanted activation can make some demage to some - not so cheap - part off it.

I hope K3 will be able (after some F/W development) to avoid ANY TX or "like TX" activation by hitting the Key or M1-M4 buttons or any others in the future. It is not about to delete today´s functionality, it is about to have a chance to change it. This very conservative approach (user selected as no everybody wants it) - if in PTT mode there is no other way how to activate TX (with or without RF out) then PTT itself - will be great I suppose...

73!
Lexa, OK1DST
K3/10 #727

P.S.: not having DVR yet but "1 or 2 weeks to sent" :-)
so no tested here locally, sorry if misundersood reports about it...

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML napsal(a):

Ed Gray W0SD wrote:
Do I understand if I am in PTT (not VOX) and I hit M1 the DVR will transmit(actually act like it is on VOX although the K3 is set to PTT?

Yes, or at least mine does, and I want it that way. It's not really
what I'd consider VOX, though - it's activated by pressing the button,
not by the audio.

What about if I have used PTT with a foot switch and keyed the K3 and the 8877 on two meters and the T/R relay in the amplifier has been switched can I tap M1, etc. and send the DVR CQ or other message?

I get strange results when I try that. I think the firmware is getting
confused. The message starts to play, then cuts out. If I try it a
few times, it starts working. If I then go back to just pressing the
button, with no PTT, it acts strange for a few attempts too.

I think there's a firmware bug, perhaps related to PTT canceling DVR
playback. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work if you press the M1
button when PTT is already asserted.

If this is true I can make this work. Obviously I have to be sure to activate PTT with my foot switch before hitting M1, etc. or almost certainly burn up the T/R relay trying to "hot switch" 1500 watts.

If this works then I would assume even if I take my foot off the foot switch the DVR continues(simulates VOX).

Good question. I'd expect the TX to be a logical "AND" of the potential
assertions (PTT, VOX (from mic) and CW keys), and it should keep
transmitting while ANY of them are still on.

The other part of that is that the DVR and mic audio probably should
be mixed together in the case where both DVR and PTT are active.

I certainly need to keep my foot on the PTT switch until the DVR is finished to prevent burning up the T/R relay if there was a simulated VOX drop out.

I really think you'd be better off using the KEY OUT from the K3. Is
there some reason you can't do that?

So another question if you are in PTT and you hit M1 and it starts transmitting(simulates VOX) does the VOX settings such as delay in effect. I have a hard time getting used to things doing VOX like action when you are in PTT.

Again, I don't think it's VOX - I think it's a separate software TX
assertion, but Wayne/Lyle/someone would need to confirm.

You answered my question about CW on SSB in that you can defeat it sending CW when in PTT. I never have read the CW Weight item as I don't mess with that on CW so thanks for telling me where it is at. It surprised me the other day when I was in SSB with VOX off and I accidentally hit the CW key and tripped the protective circuit on the Alpha 99 as the amplifier was not set up as I was just listening around on different bands thinking since I was not in VOX it would not transmit.

Yeah, I think a case could be made for requiring VOX or PTT for CW in
SSB mode. Maybe it should be a configurable option.

It is a nice feature to be able to transmit CW when in SSB mode and the menu item handles the situation well. I normally will have it so it can not send CW but over the years I have seen times where this feature would be nice.

I've used it as a quick way to tune-up when band-switching in an SSB
contest (with a straight-key positioned right next to the amp) :)

    ~Iain