Hi Don,
    Thanks for info, I have tried it and have let it do the math as you
suggested. The problem comes when you are operating in a contest and QRM
both above and below is constantly changing. Having both LO and HI CUT to
tweek during RX periods ONLY is just too restrictive and no-one I have
spoken to in the above situation uses LO and HIGH CUT for this reason. If
the primary function of NORM didn't change the roofing filter as well or
adjustment were allowed during tx then the situation would be better.
Cancelling any redundant settings of  LO and HIGH CUT in one button push
would be more easily accomplished and would become useable for contests.
Everyone I have spoken to are working around these firmware quirks by using
the harder to get at secondary feature of the NORM button to select a known
SHIFT and WIDTH setting during RX whilst simultaneously trying to type
calls. It's a hassle and detracts from the operating enjoyment of the K3 and
is why I mentioned it.

Doug GM0ELP