Ron,

I would suggest that you reduce the soundcard output level and increase
the K3 line in setting for smoother control of the audio level.  I run
my K3 line in at 12 to 13 and adjust the soundcard level to achieve the
proper number of ALC bars (4) - my soundcard controls are at the
mid-point when it is adjusted correctly.
I am using an internal SoundBlaster Live 24 soundcard. Your results may
depend on your particular soundcard as well as the K3 settings.

73,
Don W3FPR