Robert Hall - KE7VHF wrote:

> Is there somewhere where I might find a more exhaustive step by step
> discussion of seting up sound levels on the pc while connected to the K3.
> may be a little dense and have not felt entirely comfortable with what I
> have read in the manual. Maybe this discussion might include config menu
> items and what the different settings would do to effect the way the K3
> behaves with different modes?
>
> A good example of this is the idea of setting the number of bars for pc
> output, correct? Would this be done for actual rf output or would this be
> done via setting tx to test?

It really would be impossible to do this because the output level and input
sensitivity of different sound cards will vary. The output even varies from
one program to another.

The receive side is easy enough, and can be adjusted until you see a faint
moving background on the waterfall with a quiet band, and the signals stand
out clear.

On transmit I would suggest that you just increase the audio going in to the
radio using a combination of the slider on the PC mixer and the MIC control,
until the output on the power meter reads the power you want. Ideally you
should do this while getting the software to send a Tune signal - a pure
tone, and aim for 50W or less. A modulated PSK signal should give a reading
of less than half the peak power, so no more than three bars on the power
scale.

I'm unhappy with the advice to set the level to 4 or 5 bars on the ALC scale
because when I do this my K3 puts out twice the power set on the POWER
control making it far too easy to overdrive the PA. I prefer to adjust the
input level until the output power matches what it says on the power
control. Then I can use the power control intuitively to set the power the
same way it works in CW and SSB modes. For me, the amount of input needed to
do this is some way below the point at which ANY ALC blobs appear.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.ham-directory.com/ Ham
Directory    http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html KComm for Elecraft K2 and K3