> The 43' vertical is recent fad and it makes no sense at all. Virtually
> any trapped multiband vertical should easily outperform it.

Steve,

I thought the same until I read this:

http://vk1od.net/antenna/multibandunloadedvertical/

According to the author, the so-called "magic" of the 43-foot length is that
radiation resistance remains quite high across the HF spectrum and thus,
system losses are minimized.  Compared to a 33-foot vertical, system losses
are much lower across the spectrum.

But to your point, a trapped multi-band vertical can offer similar
performance.  Personally, I think the negativity associated with trap loss
in multi-band antennas is grossly overblown.  Other systematic losses mask
what little loss exists in most trapped antenna designs.

Anyway, not sure how valid all this data really is, but the data presented
is interesting

Paul, W9AC