Dave,

If you look at the LB Cebik information, he has long recommended 44 foot
dipoles as a back-up antenna for 40 through 10 meters and 88 foot
dipoles for 80 through 20.  The main reason for his recommendation is
that the radiation pattern does not break up into lobes over that range
of frequencies, and all the radiation is broadside to the antenna wire.

Now, take that dipole and stand it on end - the radiation pattern will
be low to the earth.
As a second step, remove the lower portion of the antenna and install
radials (22 or 44 ft long) to balance out the vertical section.  If the
radials are run in opposing directions, any radiation from them will
cancel leaving all the radiated power from the vertical element, and it
will be at a low angle when operated within the frequency range that
keeps the radiation pattern in  single lobe (below 10m for the 22 ft
vertical and below 20m for the 44 ft vertical).

If the vertical element is mounted well above the ground, 4 radials (2
pair oriented in opposing directions) should be sufficient, but if
ground mounted, a lot of radials are needed to form a ground screen.

An antenna of this nature will not have an impedance suitable for
feeding with coax.  A remote auto-tuner or an L section designed for
each band will be needed at the base to provide a suitable match or the
coax.  If the feedpoint is transformed to something coax can easily
match, most all the power will be delivered to the radiator and the
feedline loss will be small, but if directly fed with coax, the losses
can be rather high - just how high depends on the feedline length.

73,
Don W3FPR