Evert.

I have no intention to dispute your observations.  It is just that mine
are different.  You are justified in being persistent to find out if
there is a problem with some K3s or if it is a localized problem, or
exactly what, but as far as I can tell, it is not apparent on my K3.

In my observations, I have concluded that the AGC has a lot to do with
how the K3 sounds.
I particularly liked the way the K2 AGC response sounded, so I have used
Jack Smith's charts at
http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/elecraft_k3_agc_and_s-meter.htm to
modify my AGC parameters to have a response more like the K2 (strong
signals sound stronger, weaker signals weaker).  Those settings made a
great difference to me, and made the audio much smoother.

Secondly, the AGC improvements with MCU 3.03 (and higher) made an
additional difference.

Is it possible that the AGC settings make a difference in the perception
of "hissing audio" that we have been discussing?  I don't know the
answer, but provide it as "food for thought".

73,
Don W3FPR