Evert Bakker (PA2KW) wrote:

> For me, I'm quite sure it has to do with the digitalization. That sound is
> far from natural and is ADDITIONAL to the normal audio signal. That addition
> sounds sharp, metallic, like these "extreme low cost" jingle bell" sounds in
> all kind of gifts (sorry for the comparison between these two). But it is
> "next" to the normal signal and many db's down.

K8ZOA replied:

There is a 3.9 KHz digitization artifact about 78 dB down from normal
audio level. Is this what you hear?

I suspect Jack has identified Evert's problem.  The 3.9 kHz artifact should
sound exactly as Evert describes.  To check, Evert could try setting RX EQ 8
(3.2 kHz) to -16.  If this reduces the sound he's hearing, it should prove that
the 3.9 kHz artifact is causing his problem.

You should not have any reduction in intelligibility for SSB contests by
setting RX EQ 8 as above.  For CW, I normally set RX EQ 1-2 and 5-8 at -16 dB,
since I normally use a 300-440 Hz pitch.

73,  Bill  W4ZV