This reminds me somethnig. The audio in my K3 sounded much better with
noise-canceling phones than with regular headphones. The first one had high
amplification and probably high impedance. So the problem may be due to
inadequate AF amplifier in K3.

I the AF mod helping much?

Ignacy

As I recall some of the "sharpness" in the audio can be
attributed to the impedance of the headphones used.  Low
impedance transducers (particularly 8 and 16 Ohms) require
the headset amplifier to run harder which brings up not only
the broadband noise but results in higher levels of distortion.

Use of high sensitivity, high impedance transducers with
AF Gain = L should result in considerably lower levels
of high frequency noise.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV