Sentiments like the one below make me think that quite a few people have
not yet encountered HFpack, one of the largest ham radio interest groups.

Just like DXers, Contesters, QRP'ers, and kit builders, HFpack
afficionados are another group of hams with like-minded interests.
They like to optimize their equipment for outdoor, portable operation
while holding on to the equipment, though HFPack operations also
encompasses portable, mobile, and home operations as well.  Often, as a
social activity hams might get together and operate from nearby
locations as they hike.

There is also some overlap with the "green radio" (military pack) folks,
who use military and commercial backpack equipment, which also works
well with close-in signals on HF at the same time as more distant
communications.

HFPackers have been active in many areas of antenna design, portable
power options, RFI/EMC, and equipment design.

See http://hfpack.com/ for more info, or check out the  HFPack Yahoo Group.

Leigh/WA5ZNU