Sentiments like the one below make me think that quite a few people have
not yet encountered HFpack, one of the largest ham radio interest groups.

To the contrary.

We have studied widely on portable operations. As we live in a remote area of
Australia HF comms is not a novelty, it is absolutely vital to assist S and R
people to find you when something happens. It is not a game. We (Australia)
gave the world (the UN also) the Codan and Barrett radios and antennas.
Australia gave the US military some sophisticated communications technology and
the testing of this type of equipment is done in Outback Australia, not a
convenient few hundred square miles of *desert* and because we live in an area
such as this we do practice all types of HF mobile and portable comms.

Backpacking around these parts can be quite difficult and dangerous, we have
had many deaths over the years because communications were either inadequate or
a lack of proper planning was not done correctly or worse, not done at all.

I repeat, I do not expect anyone I know would be so foolish as to enter my
property talking on ssb @ 100W if they bothered to look up the tower and saw
the HF Quad (5 bands) and had any anticipation of a warm greeting at the door.

The next multi-op operation by way of *remote* will be at Conjuboy Station
(Con_jew_boy) (Ranch) which is large enough that it is marked on the road maps
of Queensland.

We will be running:

K3 and FT-897D
10/15/20m 4 element triband yagi
80M full wave loop
40m full wave loop
30m full wave loop

FT-847

6m 5 element wide spaced yagi
2m 9 element yagi
70cm 13 element yagi

All within a small clearing beside a creek fed by a natural spring.

I do not think we will have any issues this time either, again due to planning
the operation.

We all have a wide view of the hobby and I for one respect that, however I
believe that NO mod is required and if done by FW then some very intense
testing will need to be done as we have seen with the latest FW Beta releases
the testing period was rushed and several changes had to be done.

A single FW change can be fine for the intended change but can lead to problems
for many owners who had no need for the change to be done.

Gary

Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra