While I fully support any activity that gets people on the air, I don't
think the intended audience for the K3 is to be hand carried by someone
hiking.

For someone to mis-apply a high-performance DXing and Contesting machine
like the K3 to such an activity should not be a concern of Elecraft, nor
should the radio be changed as a result. If there is an improvement that
would benefit those in the DXing and Contesting arenas, then by all means.
In this case, I think a reasonable analogy would be if one was to take a
Lamborghini Countach off-road instead of a Jeep or other 4 wheel drive
vehicle. It just does not make any sense to do so.

I may just be getting too old to appreciate this, but I cannot imagine why
these folks would not use something like 2m, 440 or perhaps FRS radios for
this activity. I certainly could understand using a tiny HF rig like the
FT817 or the reportedly better IC703+ for such an activity, but I would not
consider dragging a K3 around or installing it in a car - it's just too
good, and too valuable to put it at risk like this.

Based on others' comments, I suspect that I am not alone in the confusion
over why someone would do any of this.

73,

Bob W5OV