are the FT's comments (sans callsign) since I doubt he wants a lot of
queries about it.

73,  Bill  W4ZV

On 2008-12-13, at 13:30 , **** wrote:

>    This is one for the lowest-priority end of the missing-feature list.
>    I built a box with two pushbuttons wired to the DOWN and UP pins on the
> front panel MIC connector, to simulate a remote VFO A "knob." It works
> nicely: tap to step, hold to scan. But, taps while sending CW via KEY mess
> up the beautiful dots and dashes (dare I say: just like touching almost
> any control on an Orion II while sending :=). Strangely, holds do not
> affect the CW at all.

I've just interfaced the Griffin PowerMate "multimedia USB control knob"
with my Mac contest logging program (SkookumLogger). I use it in two modes,
controlling either the RIT/XIT offset or VFOA frequency. In either mode,
twirling the knob smoothly varies the K3 frequency at a reasonable rate for
tuning around a CW run frequency. There's a PowerMate-related issue that I
can live with: it operates by "pressing" command keys for you; if you twirl
the knob a lot it queues up all those "presses" and there is no way to stop
it from stubbornly playing back the complete queue.

I've also got the PowerMate rigged to clear the offset (copies VFOB to VFOA
when controlling VFOA frequency). And one other gesture does a "Swap", which
is tough to explain in less than a paragraph.

Changing the K3 frequency this way does *not* affect CW. I'm now a Happy
Ham, no longer waiting for the hoped-for K3 remote control unit :-)