Terry:

Generally NOT while transmitting, but sometimes, esp. while QRP (e.g
in ARRL CW SS)
I'll find that I'm smack on top of (well... UNDER) a bigger signal,
making it hard
for the other guy to hear me... if I jump freq. even a small bit
while NOT trans-
mitting, the other guy might miss me, but if I 'slide' up/dn a bit
while sending my
(or his) call at the start of my reply, he'll usually follow me and
we can complete
the QSO... I seldom move more than 100 Hz (ever) when I do this, but
having a signal
actually being transmitter (for him to hear/follow) seems to help to
ensure that he
is able to track where I've gone.. otherwise, to have moved (possibly
out of his
(very narrow) B/W setting with no signal for him to track, results in
a lost QSO.

73,

Tom   N0SS