If you are talking about multi-band operation, you can expect the SWR to
range up to above 60:1 on some bands, particularly where the radiator is
near 1/2 wavelength. That's why ATU's designed for operation at the antenna
are used for such applications. And, yes, they tend to be expensive.

The Stepper antenna adjusts its length to 1/4 wave on the band in use,
AFAIK. That way it presents a decent match to coax on any band in its range.

However, matching to a longer antenna up to 5/8 wave provides substantial
low-angle gain over a 1/4 wave radiator. That's easily done with a matching
network at the base.

One way to accomplish that at a lower price than a commercial ATU at the
antenna is to put in a matching network for each band, relay switched, at
the base. On some bands only an inductor will be needed, with taps for each
band selected by relays if you are adverse to going out to the antenna. On
others capacitors may be involved (such as when the antenna is near 1/2 wave
long and presents a very high impedance at the base). IN that case you might
have a separate network that is switched in.

It's not as "hammer simple" as buying an ATU and plugging it in, but it can
be even more efficient and at a lot lower cost. For many of us, that's what
makes Ham radio fun: doing for $1 what anyone with a fat wallet can do for
$100.

You can probably get away with one matching network setup per band, at least
on 40 and up, and keep as low an SWR to the actual rig as you want using the
rig's built in ATU. (That's what it is really for ;-) Just be sure the SWR
on the coax isn't so high you have unacceptable losses.

With an insulated pole like you have, another way to economically arrange a
vertical covering several bands is to tape several radiators to it,
insulated from each other, each 1/4 wave long for the band of interest. You
can feed them in parallel with one run of coax, especially when dealing with
harmonically-related bands (e.g. 40/20/10 meters) but it can be made to work
on other combinations with a little pruning so that the SWR is low enough to
avoid excessive coax losses. Then you let your rig's ATU do the final
tweaking to keep your finals happy.

You might do a little research on radials. The relationship of the number of
radials to antenna efficiency is not linear. The more radials you have, the
less adding more improves the efficiency. Also, the higher the feed point
impedance, the less important near-field ground losses become. For example,
a half wave radiator with a feed point impedance typically several thousand
ohms is very efficient with no ground connection at all.  OTOH a 1/8 or 1/16
wave radiator with a feedpoint impedance of less than an ohm requires the
best possible ground for any reasonable efficiency.

Ron AC7AC