From: Stephen W. Kercel [mailto:kerc...@suscom-maine.net]
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:38 PM
To: wrco...@flash.net
Cc: 'Elecraft Discussion List'; 'David Wilburn'; Ron D'Eau Claire
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT - SteppIR Vertical and Elecraft Products

Willis and others:

There is a much cheaper trick than big coils and capacitors that ought
to work, and could easily handle high power.

Although I have never tried end feeding a half wave antenna, I have had
great success in center feeding full wave antennas. The trick is to use
an open wire feedline as a quarter wave transformer. I used the old
fashioned "ladder line" with plastic spreaders and bare copper wire
rated at 450 Ohms. Since the velocity factor is practically 1, I cut the
length to the theoretical free space quarter wavelength. One end feeds
the center of the antenna, and the other end goes to a 1:1 balun. It
presents a very low SWR to 50 Ohm coax. I have done this on various
bands with great success.

I have not tried the "end fed Zepp" configuration implied by an end
feeding scheme, but for the sake of this discussion, I have run a quick
simulation.