> I wonder if there is any possibility of allowing AM TX and/or
> ESSB via the FM filter...

It is theoretically possible to transmit AM and ESSB through
the FM filter but the K3 is currently configured to prohibit
AM and ESSB transmit unless the 6 KHz filter is used.  I have
transmitted using the FM filter by setting the K3 as if the
FM filter was an AM filter but then I can not transmit FM
without resetting the filter set-up.

Elecraft will argue that the 6 KHz filter is necessary to
prevent transmitted images (the DSP IF is 15 KHz, the image
is 30 KHz away from the transmit frequency).  However, I
can not measure any image - to -120 dB from the CW level -
when looking at the transmitter output with a directional
coupler using the SDR-IQ as a spectrum analyzer.  This
is as expected since the FM filter should be at least -60
dB at +/-23 (2:1 shape factor) with an ultimate attenuation
of at least -100 dB.

It would certainly be nice if the "6 KHz" restriction was
removed.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV