Not just "Q-multipliers" but go back another generation to the regenerative
receiver (or, more properly put, "regenerative detector"). Same thing. As
you narrow the selectivity by adjusting the regeneration closer to the
"critical point", the gain also increases, just as with a "Q-multiplier".

I've gotten used to turning up the gain as I narrowed the selectivity on my
post-regenerative Homebrew receivers so I didn't miss it on the K3.

Ron AC7AC