The K3 is as simple or complex as you want to make it.  I have a pair
of K3s (and still a K2) and I contest 99% of the time I'm on the
radio.  Honestly, I hardly ever touch anything other than the tuning
knob.  I think many folks using "other" radios NEED to play with the
knobs because of the inherently inferior design of the RX.  The K3 is
so good "as is" one really does not need to "twiddle the knobs" much
at all.  You certainly are NOT going into the menus during the contest
(if you're a serious all band contester).  I am not saying you can't
twiddle around, but for 99% of the contacts, there is no need.

Too complicated?  Well, selfishly, I hope that rumor continues to
spread so those us who already own the K3 can maintain our undeniable
advantage for contesting in crowded, multiple strong signal
environments.  Hey, I did win both modes CQWW for USA qrp last year
(yes, using the K3).

And yes, there are several BIG contest stations that have moved to all
K3s (including Multi-multi).

Just because a radio is capable of being "changed on the fly to the
nth degree" does not mean you're doing that all the time (or more than
once or twice a year).

de Doug KR2Q