On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 7:11 AM, David Y. <w7...@cox.net> wrote:
> It reminds me of the
> domination that Collins seemed to have in the 60's.  Not everyone had one,
> but most people wanted one!
> Dave W7AQK

Dave:

But the big difference is that while most everybody wanted Collins,
very few could afford one.  With the K3, well, it is the least
expensive (NOT "cheapest" as cheap = poor quality) of the "big
performance" rigs....BY FAR!

And lets not forget that with rigs like the IC7800 or FT9000, you
really cannot pick and choose what you want to anywhere near the
degree that you can with the K3.  For example, I have resonant
antennas, so no Antenna tuner here.  I am not serious about low band
DXing, so no 2nd receiver here, I already had an external DVK, so
didn't get that either, I don't care about FM, etc etc etc.  My K3's
(pair) were a down-right BARGAIN on par with the "bottom end" of the
other guy's cost wise, but on par with their TOP END (and then some)
performance-wise.  Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?
:-)

de Doug KR2Q