I know from my work and personal experience that some USB devices can fail
without being electro mechanically obvious.  I recently had a new printer fail
after working for 30 + days.  I couldn't figure out why a couple of USB ports
on the PC weren't working, it was just built, new MB and processor etc.  I
thought the board had gone bad and the case had one bad front panel port as
well.  Finally after being unable to fix by reinstalling drivers and
troubleshooting through the system devices, all USB devices were removed and
then I began plugging in each USB device, starting with the mouse and checking
each one.  When I got to the new and I thought working printer, voila!  Issue
discovered..,. it was the new printer.  Now my serial to USB converters are
working.

I hope this brief description of what happened to me will help someone else.

I use a Kusb and an older, I don't what you call it brand.  Both amazingly use
the same driver, but their interface software is different.  This would mean
their chips are the same most likely even though they are different USB
adapters.

Bill
K9YEQ
K2-#35 (2 more), KX1-#35, K3, TS2000, IC7000, etc.