David Y. wrote:

> I'm really a complete neophyte at this sort of stuff, but isn't it mainly
> matter of having the correct "drivers"?  If a device isn't recognized when
> using a new operating system, it's usually just a matter of getting new
> drivers.  Unfortunately, some manufacturers abandon older products, and
> don't provide updated drivers for new systems.  Hopefully, if Elecraft did
> go to a USB alternative, they would still keep up with the driver
> requirement as new operating systems became available.

Yes, but someone has to write those drivers. Icom has adopted a USB
interface for the IC7600 but it has only provided drivers for Windows, and
Icom arguably has greater resources at its disposal for writing drivers than
Elecraft. Because Elecraft chose RS232, it has been relatively simple for
them to support all the major operating systems Windows, Linux and Mac OS X,
something I think no other manufacturer does.

I also doubt that Icom will be interested in writing new drivers for the
'7600 once that model is obsolete. "Hopefully" they would, but that isn't a
gamble I'm be willing to take. True, Elecraft isn't Icom. Then again, in 10
years time Wayne and Eric may have retired to Florida so who knows what
would happen?

You need a cable of some sort to connect the K3 to the computer, whatever
interface is used. What difference does it make if the cable for USB ports
has a bulge at one end?

A serial interface is the safest long-term bet that offers users the most
choices. You could even remote control a K3 without a computer at the remote
end using an Ethernet serial device.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com