On Dec 8, 2009, at 4:30 PM, elelist984 wrote:

> I think one needs to be careful about using el cheapo outlet strips.  I
> know conditions down here are different from the U.S., but our fire
> chief has warned of fires cause by these items.

My older brother, a Captain in the USN, recently returned from Iraq where he
was one of the most recent officers in charge of dealing with the shoddy wiring
and electrical-related fires our troops have been experiencing. When the team
began fixing the problem (before my brother arrived), they were having 4-5
electrical fires a day theatre wide.

I am told analysis showed they were being mostly caused by the cheap power
strips from the bazaar and shoddy ballast installation.  The ballasts were
re-installed, and the soldiers issued US-standard power strips with extra long
cords (like they apparently do in the Navy already).  It seems far too small a
gauge wire was being used in the strips and often had empty insulation where
the ground wire was supposed to be.

All of this is a long winded way of saying I, too, would caution against cheap
power strips of uncertain provenance.

Byron KI6NUL