Lyle,

    I have tried out a pair of these, and hope to have them in service
real soon. A pair of boxes is around $ 400 US, and has bi-directional
audio, two (2) sets of rs-232 and built in PTT contact closure. That
dedicated PTT is very nice as with most remote base operations you have
to keep clicking on the PTT buttons on the remote screen to assert PTT.
I prefer a hand or foot switch.
    I have a K3 that sits about 14 miles away from my house, that is the
highest point around, just for a 6 meter ssb remote base. I have a M2 5
element beam up 40 feet, and that hill puts that antenna 350 feet above
my head. I use HRD and TRX for remote control.

    With the RemoteRig box, (each box is the size of a packet TNC), you
do not really need a PC at the remote site. I still will, as I decode
the digital signals there (FSK411/wsjt etc). Once I have the boxes in
place, I will report more on them. But the price/benefit ratio is very
good.  And they work very well with the K3, which is the important part!